Monday, June 8, 2009

It Makes No Difference

I was at the Tune Inn today my favorite dive bar in the world...I put on the jukebox the usual...Some Willie, Waylon, a little Steve, but today something persuaded me to just throw on The Band. I don't know what compelled me to play "It Makes No Difference" . I had not played that song since I had lived in the pool hall, and quite frankly it is a really kind of sad song. The one thing that is funny about bars is you can tell when people are listening, the place hums just a little quieter. People stop their conversations for a few breaths Sitting at the bar flanked by a member of congress and old friend, a new friend who is an old union man, and a few Vietnam Vets. Sipping a Natty Boh, eating okra and and catching the aftertaste of Marlboro 100's coming from the patio. I saw something magical. A group of people heaving a collective sigh, stopping, doing a u-turn and going back for just a split second. To what I am not sure, really it is not my place to pry or press. I can only say my memory went to people, places and loves.

No comments: